Monday, June 16, 2008

Carving out a craft space


One of the things I'm most excited about with the upcoming move is the fact that I'll FINALLY have my very own CRAFT SPACE!!! Boy has been using our loft as his office and admittedly, running his label requires a ton of space, but we spent ALL WEEKEND going back and forth from Ikea, building stuff, moving things we probably shouldn't have been lifting, etc. in order to consolidate his stuff so that I can have some storage and a corner for a sewing desk of my own.

The biggest storage hurdle for us was, of course, music. Boy collects vinyl . . . by collects I mean there are about 2,000 records (no joke) that had to be stored somewhere. He had these cubes from Ikea going on already, and they are actually great for storing records so we decided to keep going in that general direction. We moved a stack of 12 up from the living room then bought another 8. The whole time we were moving and building I kept myself motivated by thinking "when we're done, we'll have more than enough space!", but wouldn't you know, we don't . . . it'll do though. I always thought my craft stash was huge and friends visiting my old apartment would invariably be shocked by the number of CDs I had . . .but check out the photo of the vinyl wall: the 4 cubes to the far left? Thats my entire CD collection (admittedly, 2 stacks deep, but still). The rest is all boy's.

I've got my fabric sorted and stacked nicely (so I can see it all!!! how fantastic is that?!?!). I'm going to buy a desk or a dining table at a thrift store for the sewing corner. I'd like to get a chair with a padded seat that I can reupholster. Then once thats all up I'm going to get to work framing and hanging my little gallery of small prints and ATCs from Etsy. I've also bought some portable storage for my beading boxes. Since I tend to do all of my jewelry making on the sofa in front of the History Channel, it'll be really handy to have storage with handles so that I can carry my beading around the house! Its still a ways off from being done . . . but my space is finally cleared and ready for me so I'm happy to have made so much progress this weekend!

4 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

Isn't it great having a craft space?! Even if it's small it's so nice to have room to put things and have them out of the way when you're done for the day.

Domesticrazy said...

We used to collect music and movies, when John was a DJ on the radio. Also, old Nintendo games. Now we're slowly getting rid of it and making space for, well, just space. One benefit was I got a "studio" and it has been wonderful! I hope you enjoy your new work room, and make many lovely things!

HollyLynne said...

thanks guys!!! domesticrazy, i'm intrigued! my boy dj-ed as well for KXLU, a college station out here in LA. Where did your husband spin?

Jane said...

Yea! Finally carving out my own craft space was one of the best things I have done for myself in a long time! Congrats!