Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Bunches of Grapes


The boy and I went away for the weekend to visit family (had a lovely time!) and ALL THROUGH the trip I was daydreaming about my order of dyed pearls from Fire Mountain gems. I had so many great ideas flitting about my head and I knew my order wasn't scheduled for delivery until Wednesday (<- IMPATIENT!) so I used my free few hours upon arriving home to go to "The Good Bead Store" which is very expensive and hard to visit since its only open on weekdays and for a few hours on Saturdays. I picked up a string of peacock dyed pearls which are probably more or less identical to the ones I ordered from Fire Mountain (also, more expensive) but I refuse to feel badly about that because LOOK! at what I made with them!!!

I had the idea to make pearl "grape bunch" earrings but I found when I had them home that the holes in the pearls were way too small to fit a headpin through. So I started fiddling around with wire and I think in the end I actually like the somewhat wire wrapped look better than I would the headpin look. It gives the earrings a definite handmade, organic feeling thats somehow almost Celtic with the wrapping and looping of the wire.


Listening:  Meho Plaza - Album Out Today!!!

6 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

Very cute! I'm thinking of making something along those lines for my wedding jewelry.

HollyLynne said...

They'd be gorgeous as wedding earrings or bridesmaid jewelry . . .the idea would work to make a pendant as well. They were totally fun to make too. I'm going to do some in the other pearl colors when my order comes!

HollyLynne said...

oh, duh, and THANKS! :)

Kathy said...

You would love the jewelry my bridesmaids wore at my wedding. It was like this (except I think headpins were used) but used a mixture of dusky-pink pearls and cream pearls, along with a few kind of prism things (do not know how to describe them). If you would like me to send you a photo or two let me know.

HollyLynne said...

thanks!!! your jewelry sounds lovely!

Barbara said...

ooooo! how adorable!

I can't wait to see what else you're making.