Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Record Fun!

Thank you sincerely to everyone who offered condolences and support over the whole wedding insurance / face hurting episode. The insurance still isn't taken care of yet, but I'm down to my last few ideas and I'm not going to lose hope until I've exhausted every possible means of getting the paperwork I need. Then after that, I'm not too proud to beg my way out of needing the coverage if I have to.

In the meantime, I'm trying to be extra nice to myself to avert any further holding face and screaming episodes. I'm taking myself to Sephora at lunch (just to buy things I've run out of, but buying makeup is always helpful!) and tonight I'm going to stay home with my almost husband and make our favorite veggie lasagne. We've even got the new Tudors episode to watch on tape. And after that TLC seems to be playing Jon and Kate Plus 8 pretty much all night which I take as a sign that the Universe in general is trying to be extra nice to me right now too.


Over the weekend, pre headache issues, the boy and I went to a friend's birthday party. I'd pulled a few things from my Etsy shop to give to her, but at the last minute the boy thought we should make a record bowl too. The boy has an indie label so he's got tons of warped vinyl sitting around (vinyl is a very finicky medium). Bowls are super fun and easy to make, and they've got the added benefit of looking wayyyyy cooler and more complicated than they actually are. To make one, find yourself a scratched / warped / or otherwise unplayable record (please don't waste good vinyl! I couldn't live with myself if I thought I'd encouraged anyone to destroy playable records) and crank the oven to 200 degrees. Set a small bowl upside down on a cookie sheet (the bowl doesn't technically have to be oven safe . . . you're only going up to 200 degrees here, your dishwasher probably gets that hot) and place the record on top of the upturned bowl with the center label touching the bowl's bottom rim and the black vinyl hanging freely over the sides. Put the setup in the oven for about 5 minutes, you'll see the record start to droop. Remove the record after 5 minutes and quickly place it in a big mixing bowl to shape it. If you don't like the resulting shape, stick your record back in the oven! You've got about 20 or 30 seconds to work with your record before it starts re-hardening.

That's it. Super easy. And the records that we used this time had some AWESOME packaging that I managed to convert into a gift bag! I used the inner sleeve as the bag portion and cut the outer cardboard sleeve to make handles and a gift card. So fun . . . it was a great gift!



Listening:  Sunny Day Real Estate- "The Ocean"

2 comments:

Kalar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kalar said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.