Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Dinner in 15 minutes flat


And a restaurant quality salad at that! I made this just as a way to put together a light dinner over the weekend and liked it so much that I made it again last night.

Black Bean Salad

1 yellow onion, diced
1 red pepper, diced
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup frozen corn, thawed
1 roma tomato, diced
3 green onions, sliced
a big handful of cilantro, chopped
1 lime
1-2 hearts of romaine, washed well and cut into ribbons (1 head will serve 2, you can stretch this to serve 3-4 w/ two heads) (yep, I'm suggesting 1/2 a can of beans can constitute one serving. Thats the best part of being a vegetarian . . . getting to eat food in shocking quantities.)
(Optional: 1 jalapeno pepper, cut into a tiny dice and/or prepared salsa verde to dress)

- pour boiling water over the corn to thaw
- in a large frying pan, sweat onion and peppers with a bit of olive oil until they are caramelized and a little charred. turn off heat and squeeze in 1/4 of the lime and add some salt.
- meanwhile, prepare the rest of the veggies and mix all, except the lettuce, in a big bowl w/ the juice of 1/2 of the lime and some salt
-dress lettuce alone w/ remaining 1/4 of lime and salt
-Serve bowls of lettuce topped with black bean mixture

Honestly, I was in and out of the kitchen in under 15 minutes (all the better for my beading). This is going to be one of my go to recipes this summer when its too hot to cook much! I always feel like I haven't really eaten unless I've eaten something hot or cooked . . . so this salad is especially great because the grilled onions and peppers cover the 'cooked' base.

Listening:  Built To Spill- "Car"

1 comment:

Shakadal said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.