Monday, March 31, 2008

Vegetable Chowder




I've been trying to be good about using up everything I buy at the grocery store lately. Over the last week or so I've absent mindedly bought FARRR too many bell peppers, potatoes and milk (like, 3 cartons of milk, I have no idea why). This week I bought far too much cheese instead, cheese being more useful than milk! We'll see what I come up with for the cheese later in the week, but for this weeks excess, here's what I did:

Vegetable Chowder

6-8 cups water
Veggie stock powder/cubes/liquid to make 6-8 cups
1 qt milk
3 baking potatoes, peeled and cubed
2 green peppers, diced
4 carrots, sliced
1 1/2 big sweet onions, diced
6 celery stalks, sliced
1/2 a bag of frozen sweet corn
1 tsp crushed black pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1 tblsp parsley flakes
-2 tblsp butter
-big handful of shredded cheddar cheese
-shredded parmesan to garnish

-in a medium saucepan, boil potatoes by themselves with a bit of salt until tender
-meanwhile, assemble all other ingredients in a stock pot and simmer
-when potatoes are tender, mash them and add the mash to the stock pot
-continue simmering until all veggies are tender
-stir in cheddar until just melted
-garnish with parmesan

If I'd had them, which unfortunately I didn't, I'd have added TONS of fresh parsley instead of dried, some leeks, and a can of creamed corn. But hey, thats the point of soup . . . to use what you have and not to buy extra ingredients.

Its vegetable soup! But with cheese! And potatoes!!! How could anything be better than that? I had enough for a dinner and 4 portions to freeze. Just 2 quarts of milk left to use up now :)

Listening:  Brakes- "Beautific Visions"

1 comment:

Celulite said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.