Monday, January 14, 2008

Gemstones Can Be An Expensive Habit

But look at that! Can you blame me? I made this necklace last night using rough cut garnet and citrine and olive jade rectangles. Just gorgeous, I think. And considering the prices I've seen for natural gemstone jewelry in mainstream stores, worth the bit extra I'm charging to cover bead costs. And if this baby doesn't sell, I can always keep it ;)
I've been getting even deeper into gemstones lately . . . they're just so beautiful and colorful. Its hard to believe sometimes that such colorful stones are actually natural. I've seen deep wine garnet, perfectly rose pink quartz, and even flashy iridescents like one of my favorite stones, labrodorite. I love the fact that their shapes are often organic and dictated by nature. Sure you can buy cut or faceted gems, but oftentimes I think the natural shapes are even prettier.
I pick up a lot of my stones at Bead Source on Pico in LA (having said that, none of the gems in this necklace are from there!) and they recently started a 15% discount program . . . so needless to say I've been making FAR too many trips over there on my lunch hour! I did today and picked up some gorgeous goodies: round cut garnet, little droplets of smoky topaz, a few colored bits of quartz and a lovely nugget of ocean jasper. Can't wait to see what kind of necklaces they want to be! ;)

Listening:  Goldrush - "Heaven Is My Destiantion"

1 comment:

Nutsy Coco said...

Beautiful necklace! Beads are so addictive. I try to control myself but new ones always tempt me.