Friday, December 7, 2007

Whats A Girl To Do?

So, obviously, I love to cook. And obviously, I love to make things. But realistically, there are really only so many hours between getting home from work (6:30 on a good night . . . . much much later on a bad night) and getting into bed (12 or 1 is usually the latest I can muster!).
In this busy holiday season (crafting gifts! crafting Etsy store stock!), I haven't found as much time as usual for cooking. I've become something of an expert at throwing dinners together for myself in very little time, this is one of my favorites:

15 Minutes to Veggie Fried Rice (honest, 15 minutes)

1 package pre cooked brown rice (they sell these in most grocery stores now. They come in plastic packets which are meant to be tossed in the microwave for 3 minutes or so)
Veggies (I use whatever's on hand, but a mixture of frozen corn, frozen peas and finely chopped up carrots, celery, onion, snow peas and broccoli is a winning combo)
Chopped green onion
Soy sauce
Ginger powder and garlic powder
Olive oil for frying
1 egg

- Coat the bottom of your wok w/ olive oil and crank up the heat
- add frozen veggies first
- then the rest as you chop them (I try to chop the ones that take longer to cook first, like onions and carrots)
- as veggies are cooking, in a separate small frying pan, quickly scramble 1 beaten egg, breaking it up into small pieces
- once veggies are softened (frozen veggies are warmed through and onions are becoming transparent) toss in the rice
- stir fry until rice is warmed through
- toss with scrambled egg, soy sauce and green onions

Dinner is done. Twice actually; this makes 2 portions big enough to fuel anyone through a night of crafting . . . or whatever it is you do!


Listening:  Ravens & Chimes- "January"

No comments: