Monday, December 10, 2007

If Only I'd Done This Sooner!!!!

I'd heard that switching from chemical housecleaning products to steam cleaning could help with allergy symptoms. I'd filed this info away in my head and hadn't thought much about it until lately. My allergies have been at an all time low (high?) (yep, in December . . . they're year round) and simultaneously, I'd hit my breaking point where scrubbing floors on my hands and knees was concerned. I went online browsing for a better solution and saw a bunch of steam powered mops listed with great reviews.

So, I picked one up at Target for $80, went home and cleaned my hardwoods, bathroom tile and kitchen laminate. The difference was astonishing. Within hours, my head felt a bit clearer. So much so that I ran right out and bought a steam sprayer for cleaning the rest of my home surfaces.

I'm still working out the kinks with how to use the steam and where it works best, but I love this new method . . . I spent $80 on the mop, $30 on the steam sprayer and $10 on a stack of 12 plain washcloths for wiping. Now, for the immediate future, I'm not going to have to buy paper towels (for cleaning at least), floor cleaning solvents, spray cleaners, tile cleaners, windex, upholstery cleaners, bleach . . . any of that. Its better for the environment twofold since I'm a) not using chemicals that can seep into the ground water and b) not using disposable products or packaging.

Best thing of all was how EASY the whole cleaning process is now. Steam mopping involves no bending over or kneeling down . . .the steam dries almost instantly and all of the bits of grime and slime are immediately lifted from my floors . . . like, immediately.

Cleaning is a huge pet peeve of mine . . . I'd rather do pretty much anything else. Dentist included. So for me to wax on about a cleaning method is pretty bizarre . . . but I almost want to go home and mop some more!!!

Listening:  Tom Vek- "If I Had Changed My Mind"

1 comment:

Nutsy Coco said...

I was wishing I had one of those the other night when I was on my hands and knees scrubbing my kitchen floor!