Monday, October 22, 2007

Spaghetti and Meatballs!

As I try to clean out my cabinets for my upcoming trip to the UK, I'm bound to come up with a few interesting recipes! On Saturday night I managed a fair approximation of spaghetti and meatballs . . . good enough that I think this one might make regular rotation!

Spaghetti and Meatballs:

Sauce:
1 large (28oz) can of diced tomatoes
1 small (12oz) can of tomato sauce
2 or 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 onion, finely diced
olive oil
salt
a few handfulls of basil, torn
1 tblsp dried oregano
2 or 3 bay leaves
1 tblsp tomato paste

-sautee onions and garlic in a bit of oil until they soften (5 minutes or so)
-add remanining ingredients and simmer until sauce becomes thick (30 mintues or so)

Meatballs:
1 package of refridgerated veggie 'meat'
1 egg
1/4 cup of italian seasoned breadcrumbs
1/4 cup grated parmesan
salt, pepper and italian seasoning to taste

-mix all ingredients in a bowl and form into balls (I got 11)
-grease a casserole dish and lay balls in a single layer along bottom
-bake at 350 for about 20 minutes (balls will begin to brown on top)

Pasta:
Cook according to package instructions

I think the next time I make this I'm going to add a bit of shredded mozzerella in with the meatball mixture, the boy insists they're fine as is though. Either way, its nice to know the meatball technique I'd been imagining for a while works!!! Fake meat can be a bit of a pain to work with as it has no fat and doesn't crisp up the way real meat does, but the oven baked technique really does help the meatballs keep their shape.

Listening:  Stars- "Your Ex Lover Is Dead"

No comments: