Monday, October 1, 2007

The most insanely amazing pasta ever. Like, seriously.

I had intended to make a veggie Bolognese sauce on Saturday night, but instead of picking up veggie ground meat I accidentally picked up a pack of veggie deli slices (is there a pattern developing here?). Instead of scrapping the whole pasta sauce idea, I thought I'd try making a veggie sauce. I remember having read somewhere that finely grated carrots could mimic meat texture, so I dug around in the crisper and came up with this:

Veggie Pasta Sauce:

3 carrots, shredded on the finest grater space
1/2 a leek, cut into a tiny confetti
2 small yellow onions or 1 large one, cut into a fine dice
1 bell pepper, cut into a fine dice
2 celery stalks, fine dice (slice lengthwise a few times, then dice crosswise)
3 garlic cloves, smashed then minced
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large (28oz) can of diced tomatoes
1 regular (12oz) can of tomato sauce
1 tblsp tomato paste
about 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
about 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 1/2 tblsp dried oregano
1 bay leaf

- place all ingredients up to and including olive oil in a stock pot and sweat until they begin to soften (about 10 minutes)
-Add remaining ingredients and simmer partially covered for an hour

I served the sauce mixed with whole wheat pasta, topped w/ Italian cheeses and broiled. It was insanely good . . . and I'd imagine this would be an excellent recipe to sneak vegetables into children. For all the veggies contained in it, it didn't taste remarkably "vegetable-y".

I think I might actually make more tonight. It was THAT good!

Listening:  Division Day- "Reversible"

No comments: