Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Rachel Ray Has A Way With Pasta


I saw a dish like this made on her show the other night and thought it was one I was gonna have to try. The sauce is a brown butter and sage, something I'd never tried before. Fresh sage acutally was an entirely new ingredient to me. I adore cabbage and potatoes, must be the Irish in me! They went surprisingly well with the pasta too . . . the boy had seconds, which is usually a good sign. Below is an approximation of the recipe, I watched Rachel do it on TV but didn't write anything down of course . . .or measure for that matter.

Pasta with Sage Butter, Cabbage and Potatoes:

A few handfuls of white creamer potatoes
about 3/4 lb of whole wheat pasta
about 1/2 a head of white cabbage, cut into a medium-ish dice
3 heads garlic, smashed
about 8 sage leaves, sliced into little confetti ribbons
about 6 tblsp butter
A big handful of grated parmesan/romano
salt

-boil a big kettle of salted water, add potatoes and wait 7 minutes or so, add pasta and wait 7 more, then add cabbage and cook until everything is done (about 7 more minutes, by my estimation, but I kept tasting to check)
-Meanwhile in a wok, melt butter and add sage and garlic. Cook over very low heat for about 10 or 15 minutes or until sage is crispy. Remove garlic.
-Reserve 2 ladels ful of the cooking water from the pasta and veggies and drain. Toss pasta w/ brown butter and sage, cheese, and enough cooking water to coat all pasta and veggies.
-Run around the house saying "Yum-0!" and "EVOO" and other Rachel Ray-y things.

2 comments:

Nutsy Coco said...

Wow, I admire your ability to try doing that without a recipe. I can cook well with a recipe but I think I'd have a horrible mess without on!

HollyLynne said...

Thanks! Its really hard to mess up pasta, if you wanted to give it a go I'm sure you'd do just fine!