Friday, September 14, 2007

The Best Cauliflower Cheese Ever


Like, woah. Seriously.

With my trip to to the UK is coming up in a month and a half and fall struggling to fall in LA, I'm seriously starting to crave pub food. After having spent half the week daydreaming about cauliflower cheese, last night I finally decided to do something about it. And Oh. My. God. It was amazing!

The Best Ever Cauliflower Cheese (tm):

-1 head cauliflower
-1 narrow leek, cleaned well, white and pale green parts cut into a tiny confetti
-1 tblsp butter
-1 heaping tblsp flour
-3/4 cup milk (I used 1%)
-1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, VERY sharp-black pepper to taste
-handful of bread crumbs
-handful of grated parmesan/romano

-Boil cauliflower for about 5 minutes (until still slighty crisp) in salted water, drain
-Meanwhile, in a saucepan, melt the butter and sweat the leeks for a few minutes
-Add the flour to the buttery leeks and cook for a few minutes
-Add the milk and whisk, cook for a few minutes or until mixture begins to thicken. If it isnt' thickening, add a bit more flour and whisk
-Stir pepper and cheddar into milk mixture and remove from heat, stir until cheese is fully melted
-Transfer cauliflower to a casserole and pour cheese sauce over
-Top with bread crumbs and parmesan/romano and bake at 350 for 15 minutes or until topping browns.>

3 comments:

iSew said...

No offense, but I lived in the UK for most of last year and I can't imagine craving pub food. Eugh

I do love cauliflower cheese, but it's so naughty. I'll give your recipe a try. My British fiance will appreciate it. mmm

HollyLynne said...

ooooh, but i LOVE pub food! All the cheesy goodness . . not to mention the potato-y goodnes . . . yum!
This recipe is only a little naughty . . . I used 1% milk and only 1 tblsp of butter . . .the cheese could be subbed for a low fat one. If you live near a Trader Joe's they do a great Low Fat Celtic Cheddar.
If you try, let me know how it comes out!

wylie said...

cauliflower cheese is one of my fav's have been making it for years try not boiling the cauliflower just make youre cheese sauce put the raw cauliflower in oven dish and pour the sauce over the top and bang it in the oven the sauce will soften the caulifower.