Friday, August 24, 2007

This is what i come up with when i don't feel like cooking

Last night I was on my second day of Allegra D. Now, I've got to hand it to the stuff, it DOES work on my allergies and congestion. It also, however, has the unfortunate side effect of making me feel really funny in the evenings. Sort of like in Labyrinth where Jennifer Connelly is in that weird ballroom dream sequence (see video, if you're not sure what I mean!).
So anyways, last night I was SERIOUSLY not feeling like cooking, but then nothing from a restaurant sounded good to me either so I finally got off me bum and made something. Strangely, it turned out spectacularly . . . I made Cauliflower Cheese with Macaroni . . . or is it Macaroni and Cheese with Cauliflower? Either way, I'm sure the goblins would eat it right up!

Macaroni Cheese Cauliflower . . . thing.

-1 head cauliflower, cut into bite sized pieces
-1/2 pound whole wheat pasta shapes (something small like corkscrews or penne)
-1/2 a large leek or 1 small leek, finely minced
-3 tblsp butter
-3 tblsp flour
-1 cup milk
-1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar
-1 cup shredded Parmesan (fresh)
-bread crumbs for topping (about 1/3 cup)
-chopped chives for topping

-In a large pan of salted water, boil pasta for 5 minutes less than recommended, then add cauliflower and boil until pasta has been in for a total of 2 minutes less than recommended
-in another large stock pot, melt butter and saute leeks until soft
-add flour and saute a few minutes more
-add milk and whisk over medium heat until mixture thickens
-stir in cheese until melted
-drain pasta/cauliflower and mix with cheese sauce
-transfer into a baking dish and top with bred crumbs
-bake about 20 minutes, until breadcrumbs brown
-top with chives

We'll see if the hallucinogenic properties of Allegra D inspire any more feats in the kitchen this weekend! I'll keep you guys posted!

Listening:  David Bowie (from Labyrinth)- "As The World Falls Down"

No comments: