Friday, June 8, 2007

Quorn Cacciatore

Someone started a thread on Craftster the other day about whether other vegetarians ever miss meat (yeah, Craftster does have a vegetarian section. Cooking is crafty. So?). Incidentally, just a few days earlier I cooked this supper which is inspired by one of my favorite old meat containing recipes. I do sometimes miss the comfort foods of my non-vegetarian youth, but I find that using meat substitutes I can replicate them closely enough to satisfy those cravings. It isn't really the meat I miss, its my grandma's meatloaf or my dad's chicken stir fry or, in this case, my mom's chicken cacciatore. As long as I can fake them effectively, the meat is a non-issue.
For a long time, vegetarian chicken substitutes were crap. However, with FDA approval of Quorn in the US that has all changed. This long-time favorite in the UK has been here for about 2 years and it honestly is the most amazing replacement for chicken ever (keep in mind, I haven't had chicken for a decade, but it DOES fully fool me). It also has the added benefit of being so low in calories its almost negative and insanely high in fiber and protien. This stuff is amazing. Go buy some.

Quorn Cacciatore:

-1 package of quorn "chicken" pieces (pictured above)
-1 28oz can of diced tomatoes
-a huge handfull each fresh basil, sliced in ribbons and fresh oregano, chopped
-2 large garlic cloves, crushed and minced
-salt and pepper
-1 large onion, diced roughly
-1 large green pepper, diced roughly
-a few cups cooked brown rice (i use the pre-cooked microwave variety)
-mozzerella and parmesan for topping

-sautee the green onions and peppers with the garlic in a bit of olive oil until they begin to brown
-add quorn and sautee until defrosted
-add tomatoes, herbs, salt and pepper and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until tomato liquid begins to reduce
-serve over brown rice topped with cheeses

(yes, leftovers will freeze just fine)



Listening:  Wallpaper- "The Remix"

No comments: