Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I kind of scared myself with this one

So, I'm sewing moose wristlets for my first ever wholesale order via Etsy on Sunday night and the boyfriend calls out of the blue and I ask him over for dinner. He's 20 minutes away. So, I crank my oven up and throw in some of our favorite bird's nests from Trader Joes then whip up a fresh batch of veggie pot stickers to make kind of a dim sum themed dinner. I even had a few cans of Asahi in the fridge to go with. I was finishing up literally as he walked in the door . . . so 20 minutes and absolutley no advance planning = actaully, a pretty darn cool dinner!

Super Fast Veggie Potstickers:

-2 small carrots, shredded
-about 1/4 cup celery and celery greens, chopped finely (seriously, chop as finely as you can manage, you aren't going to precook the veggies)
-1/2 a medium onion, chopped finely
-"stuff to flavor your veggies", soy sauce being the big ingredient here, but I also used some garlic powder, cracked black pepper and ginger powder. You can use whatever you've got on hand, including fresh ginger or garlic (although all that mincing might take you more than 20 minutes)
-30 potsticker wrappers
-about 1/2 a cup of water, spiked with soy sauce

-mix all the veggies and seasonings together in a small bowl
-place about a tsp full of veggie mix in the center of each circular wrapper, fold in half and press the edges with a little water to seal.
-wipe the bottom of a large, non-non stick skillet with a little olive oil, just enough to leave a thin film on the bottom of the pan, and allow to heat up over high heat
-place the potstickers in a single layer on the bottom of the skillet (my skillet holds about 15 each, so this recipe is 2 batches worth for me. I made one batch on Sunday then a second batch the next night.)
-set a timer for 2 minutes. Yes, your potstickers will stick to the bottom of the pan. Don't worry, thats why they're called potstickers. The next step will lift them back off again.
-after 2 minutes, dup about 1/4 cup of soy/water mixture in the pot, slam a lid on your skillet and set the timer for another 2 minutes.
-remove from heat and transfer carefully to a plate, they're delicate! top w/ a sprinkle of soy sauce.
-try not to gloat.



Listening:  Belly- "Feed The Tree"

1 comment:

J. said...

so...I stumbled upon your blog about a week ago and have really enjoyed reading your vegetarian recipes. I made pot stickers really similar to these for some family and friends and they were a hit. Thanks for sharing.

Best Wishes,

Joe