Monday, May 7, 2007

Tofu Stir Fry

I noticed a new variety of tofu at Trader Joes this weekend. It's called "Extra Firm" and comes in a shrink wrapped package with a little water, but far less water than the standard tray-type tofu packaging holds. It held together much better than firm tofu usually does, but was almost a bit too firm . . . I suppose I'm just used to slightly mushy tofu by now! I marinated the it for a few minutes before cooking in a mixture of veggie stock, soy sauce, ginger, garlic powder, sugar, kosher salt and black pepper. Overall, it was really easy to work with and came out pretty nicely. In the future though, I think I'll reserve the extra firm tofu for things like grilling where I think the additional texture would be a huge asset (tofu chunks slipping through the grill, anyone?).

Listening:  Helen Stellar- "Panic Attack at Breakfast"

No comments: