Thursday, May 10, 2007

Good Salsa, Bad Salsa

Last night Paul and I went to El Coyote for dinner. El Coyote is a Hollywood institution. The restaurant has been serving American style Mexican food since the 1930s. So I find it amazing that in all that time, nobody has bothered to tell them that their "salsa" is actually spaghetti sauce. I'm not exaggerating here . . . it was even served hot! Fresh, slightly more authentic salsa is VERY easy to make at home. I usually make a big bowl of it on Sundays to use in snacks and dinner over the course of the week. Here is one variation I make (pictured above):

Fresh Salsa:

3 Roma tomatoes, seeded and finely diced
1 large shallot, peeled and finely minced
1 jalapeno, seeded and finely minced
juice of 1 lime
sprinkle of kosher salt

-mix all ingredients together and chill.

See . . . wasn't that easy? Even easier than opening a can of Prego.

Listening:  Languis- "In The Fields of (Lonely Fences)"

No comments: