Monday, May 21, 2007

Chocolate Chip Cookies

I don't make them often, and I never make them for me (I don't much like cookies . . . isn't that strange?). I have sort of a mental block to baking. I adore cooking, but pretty much everything I try to bake, save casseroles of course, comes out of the oven inedible. Or sets of smoke alarms. Or both. I do have one foolproof cookie recipe though, here it is:

Chocolate Chip Cookies:

1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1/4 cup brown sugar*
1/2 cup regular sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 cup chocolate chips(I use Ghirardelli milk chocolate chips)

cream butter and mix in brown sugar and regular sugar add egg and vanilla and mix add baking soda, salt, flour and mix mix in chips drop tsp. fulls on a buttered cookie sheet and bake at 375 for 8-10 mins yields about 4 dz.

* Did you know that if you don't have any brown sugar (or if your brown sugar has fossilized) you can "make" some using 1 cup regular sugar to 1/4 cup molasses? Well, you can, and I did last night. I suppose this tip is only helpful if you're the kind of person who keeps molasses on hand . . . strangely, I am.

Listening:  Voxtrot - "Kid Gloves"

No comments: