Friday, May 11, 2007

Bubble And Squeak

Bubble and Squeak is a traditional English dish consisting of mashed potatoes and cabbage mixed together and fried as patties in bacon grease. Not exactly diet or vegetarian friendly. Not to mention that every time I get anywhere near a pan of hot frying oil, smoke alarms start going off. So when I got it in my head that I NEEDED bubble and squeak last night, this is how I did it:

"Healthier" Bubble and Squeak:

1 1/2 lbs white potatoes, cleaned and diced
1/2 a head of white cabbage, cored and shredded
2 medium leeks, washed well and sliced
3 tblsp butter
1/4 cup milk
kosher salt
black pepper
1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs

-boil potatoes in salted water until soft
-meanwhile, saute leeks and cabbage in butter until they are soft and slightly brown
-mash potatoes with milk and a bit of salt
-mix potatoes with cabbage and leeks in a large casserole
-top with breadcrumbs and bake at 400 until breadcrumbs begin to brown

I think the butter in this dish adds a rich flavor that makes up a bit for the lack of bacon fat. And since breadcrumbs and an oven do a pretty good job of fooling me into thinking I'm eating something fried, I think this recipe is a pretty reasonable approximation of a true bubble and squeak.

Listening:  Trembling Blue Stars - "The Ghost of an Unkissed Kiss"

No comments: