Friday, April 20, 2007

One Potato, Two . . .

Not like anything actually needs to be done to improve upon the perfection that is a baked potato, but lately topped baked spuds have been my dinner of choice at least one night a week. They're healthy, filling, and REALLY easy. I can toss two in the oven after work and in an hour, without much further exertion on my part, dinner is done. If I toss two in the oven, lunch for the next day is done too. The toppings can be as simple or complex as I'm in the mood to prepare and are a great way to use up whatever I have lying around the kitchen late in the week.
Last night I hit upon an especially good combo. Cheese and onions are one of my all time favorite flavor combos, so I'm actually really surprised at how long it took me to think of putting them both on top of a potato. I'm glad I did it though . . . dinner was AMAZING!

Cheese and Onion Baked Potatoes:

2 baking potatoes
olive oil
kosher salt
1 tblsp butter
1 medium leek, rinsed and chopped
1/2 a medium onion, chopped
3/4 cup of grated white cheddar cheese

- wash potatoes, poke holes w/ a fork, rub with olive oil and salt and bake at 375 for an hour or until tender inside.
- when potatoes are almost done, saute onions and leeks with butter and a bit of salt until caramelized
- cut open hot potatoes and combine potato flesh w/ onion mixture
- top with cheddar cheese

serves 2, or makes 1 dinner and 1 lunch.

Listening:  The Jealous Sound- "Hope For Us"

No comments: